Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sunshine Slowdown


Pull the sunglass lens over your eye, 
brake for the rising sunshine 
Another morning might have been the one, 
a passing day it has become 

The green numbers glaring off the dash 
will always read ten minutes fast 
I broke a split-second too late 
to chase the clouds away 

I’ve got a sickening feeling 
churning up in my stomach 
I think it may be taking its toll, 
or just finding its place 

Echolocation ran you into a wall, 
you’ve got my sympathy 
Now go out and find that vote of confidence, 
the one we’re looking for 

Feeling on the dash for sunglasses 
to block the first morning sunshine 
Staring down at the lines on pavement, 
just kicking around what the night meant 

Half-shut eyes getting their first look, 
taking time to pull the sleep loose 
It feels just like winding down, 
but still feels like the sunshine

MM 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment