Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Threadbare in Repose



My sister, you wrote to me
from your laid bare dying bed
Dotting eyes and crossing tees,
just trying to reconcile me
And what sweet words could I transcribe
to ease this passing bind,
or tie it all together,
to justify
the difference between our minds?

Ironing a crease,
driving great distances to never forget,
to not make words on a screen the last
moments of being reconciled
If words were passed along
in years fixing foundations in caste,
each person’s a niche in an imperfect union

My sister, older and wiser,
administrator of black-white protectionism,
your questions that day, they cut
across and burned a hole in my screen,
planted resentment and guilt
to swallow in your memory

A seat in silence for many years,
strapped to the point of convex,
molded my mind, mending time
in unraveling the explanation you were seeking
The justification of divergent paths,
of politics, philosophy, chains of events,
still unraveling so many years on,
after passing
So many worlds apart from that place,
sans the shade of reconciliation,
sans stain of justification and shame

MM 2/17

No comments:

Post a Comment